Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Clean DB2









So I apologize for not having a complete feature up. I had a few leads that I was following, but ultimately I haven't gotten good enough info to write anything good. When I started this blog I didn't anticipate it being this difficult to find cars to feature, but hey, you live and learn. I'm getting better at this already, and rest assured that I will have two complete features posted this weekend. I want to make up for not having one up today.

On to the car! The pics I've posted are a couple years old. The car is mine, or it was...

A while ago, I decided I absolutely had to have a 2nd gen Integra GSR. I took my time looking for a prime example, and eventually, I found it. Ever heard the legend about finding a pristine example of a rare model kept by some old lady in her garage? Well that's exactly what I came across. Well, sort of. The old lady wasn't all that old, and she knew her car had a higher street value than Kelley Blue Book would suggest, but you get the picture. I found a good deal on an incredible car.

For a while I was on top of the world. I loved the look of my car, loved the color, loved revving the B17A1 under the hood all the way up to its 8000 rpm redline... I just plain loved every bit of that car. Plans for a minor drop and intake/exhaust were carefully considered. I wasn't sure if I wanted to change it even that much. Those of you who understand just how rare a pristine DB2 is can probably relate to my situation. There's just something that feels wrong about messing with a classic.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, in my case, that end was rather abrupt. Not more than two month after assuming ownership, I crashed it. I was driving tired, and spaced out at exactly the time when the road I was on narrowed from two lanes to one. I hit the curb on one side, slid to the other side and hit that two, and completely ruined my front suspension. If this had happened to me now, I would have been able to get it repaired, but back then, I just didn't have the money to rebuild after my insurance company totaled it.

I'm not looking for sympathy by posting this, and it's not like I still lie awake thinking about it. I'm just telling a story well known to all of us who love our cars. The story of the one that got away.

No comments: